This you should know: the three basic truths of the universe are reality, existence, and origin. Existence itself is comprised of five parts: Soul, willpower, natural power, instinct, and spirit. Existence is the counter-force to reality and reality is represented by all the laws that make the universe and this world work. When we extend the reach of our soul into the real world we create an environment of existence in which our control over what is and is not supercedes the ironclad hold of reality. By influencing the shape of that environment we change reality and that is called magic.The Faculty of Magic of Borealis has made the following observations on magic:
- In a clean, non-clockwork environment, as has been proven experimentally within the premises of Jamphel Yeshe, there is an unusual duality of state in all massless or near massless subatomic particles.
- When observing such particles, their dual state locks into one state.
- There is a number of theories regarding this phenomenon, however, it becomes so subdued within the influence of the Great Clockwork that Clockwork Theologists believe it is directly related to the inherently random nature of reality and the suppression of that aspect by the clockwork.
- The inherent uncertainty is also significantly lower in a macroscopic scope, meaning clumps of matter are less uncertain than free particles, generating a certain field we call the "De Vries Suppressive Field" or "DVF" for short.
- The De Vries field of animals is ten times stronger than their total mass density implies and the De Vries field of humans is on average at least one hundred times stronger than their total mass density.
- Humans that practice magic can willfully manipulate the strength of their own DVF to some extent.
- The current theory of magic holds that a magus expands his DVF beyond his body to join with other DVFs around him or her, allowing the manipulation of particles in certain ways.
- Because the feats of magic evidently performed by mages, the theory is unable to account for the difference of energy involved in the use of magic. Moving and manipulating large amounts of matter should be beyond even extremely strong personal DVF.
- The current hypothesis is that the missing energy problem can be solved by attributing the generated energy to the great clockwork, meaning it would be the catalyst that makes magic on a macroscopic scale possible.
Elemental MagicElemental magic is the first thing that comes to the mind of the common folk when magic is mentioned. There are five ur-souls that permeate the world in a sort of ether, each latching itself loosely to the elements of water, fire, lightning, earth, and wind. Elemental mages resonate with one of these ur-souls to manipulate the corresponding element, for example moving bodies of water, causing tempests, or raising the ground. Because elemental magic is extremely useful for both landscaping and military applications, mages usually have a lot of influence in their respective societies. The great Mage Academies of the Middle Lands, for example, wield immense political power within their cities and surrounding lands.
During the Age of Awakening, when the mad magus Hestia laid to waste the city of Estwerde, carbonizing every man, woman, and child in a great plume of flame, many mages were appalled by the very real repercussions of magic misused, and some of them went into seclusion at the Walls of Weltenend. When they reintroduced themselves to the Great Land, they were clad in black and had discovered a new type of magic. They had become the first of the Brotherhood of the Null.Null magic creates a certain field or aura, which forces souls to revert back into their containers, effectively canceling most types of magic and making elemental magic impossible. However, It can not usually affect the 'magic' of the Five Keepers.
Clockwork MagicThis type of magic encompasses all other kinds that are neither elemental nor Null. It can have more general effects but often relates to transportation through the Region of the Clockwork. The Shadow Society for example uses a type of clockwork magic tied to their lanterns, which allows them to travel at right angles to reality. The Technamagix of Miyako Fluxum are also often based on a kind of clockwork magic.
Elemental magic sometimes manifests as a light blue glow if a lot of soul energy is released during its use; Null magic has no visual or auditory effect that can be perceived when used, and clockwork magic has varied perceptible effects and is more flashy than the other two types due to its often more aggressive bending of reality.
About the Great Clockwork
Let me tell you about the machine behind the world.
The Connection Between Mind and Great Clockwork
The human mind connects to the Great Clockwork via five inner gates located in the so-called soulscape, which connects to the mindspace via a Great Gate located in a person's inner void.
De Vries Cluster Field Theory
An abridged explanation of De Vries Cluster Field Theory, it's discovery, and its applications for anti-magic technology and advanced non-biological computers.
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild