Welcome to the introduction page for The 4th Race!This is a setting of ancient histories, dark secrets and terrifying creatures. Most of the articles within center around Calera, the third planet in orbit around a middle aged yellow star. This seemingly average planet is the perfect home for life to evolve into countless forms and hosts a huge variety of environments, from lush forests, desolate icy wastes and deep dark oceans. It is the perfect place for countless cultures to thrive and has given rise to four distinct, sentient and intelligent races over the last 500 million years. The most recent race to arise on the surface of Calera and the primary focus of the setting are the enigmatic and ambitious Humans. In short, this setting is firmly based on a scientific understanding of the universe. On a more familiar level this also means that most of the storytelling and adventures in the game focus down on the characters themselves, and the conflicts and stories explore complex human relationships.
Some of the articles in this setting describe events, creatures and characters that took place or existed long ago and have been extinct and seemingly irrelevant for many millions of years. Although huge amounts of time have passed since, the impact upon Calera was often so profound, echoes and relics of the previous races affect the setting even during the present day. For almost all humans however, any knowledge of the previous races and events that took place in the prehistory before their cultures arose is completely unknown and they view any discoveries as either magic, or the results of dark powers they cannot hope to understand. The mysterious and desolate Otherworld is the only other plane of existence connected to the universe of the 4th Race. From this strange realm, magic flows and seeps its way through into Calera. Much of the history of the Otherworld and its connection to Calera is a secret reaching back all the way back to the very first race.
As many of the cultures are still relatively primitive and early on their development they rarely make any distinctions between the Ascendants and Gods. This can become even more confusing as many cultures and peoples believe in and worship not only very real Ascendants as Gods but make up beings entirely and worship them as well. Sometimes an Ascendant will take over the role of a god in a culture in order to amass power and influence over gullible mortals.
These are some of the best places to get started in The 4th Race!
- Atercia is the largest continuous supercontinent that lies to the north-west of Jurin, north of Sulen and west of Alor across the vast Mesarian Ocean. Most of Humanity, its cultures and peoples reside upon Atercia.
- Sulen is an island based archipelago thousands of miles to the south of Atercia. Sulen was once a solid continent but all that remains of Sulen today is a series of tiny islands, narrow, twisting channels and shallow seas.
- Jurin is a massive unexplored continent that lies south-east of Atercia, across the Mesarian Ocean. Lying along the planet's equator most of the continent is home to a sweltering rainforest of gigantic trees and titanic wildlife that dwarves the creatures found elsewhere in the world.
- Alor is one of the smaller and least-known continents on Golarion. Known locally as The Bonelands, this realm is mostly comprised of a continent spanning wasteland.
- Laeona: The Wanderer, worshipped as the Goddess of History, she has few followers among mortals and often finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Laeona is one of the major writers and contributors to the articles of this setting guide.
- Soots: Ascendant & worshipped as the Goddess of of ash and dust, she is a relatively recent addition to the House of the Forge and has few mortal followers, she is greatly interested in creating power for herself but comes across as shy and timid.
- Sockets: Ascendant & worshipped as the God of the dead almost universally by all human cultures. He is not aligned with any other houses of the gods and rules over the continent of Alor as an Ascendant King.
- Leyfen: A tiny village on the coast of eastern Aterica, Leyfen is a perfect place to begin exploring the world of Calera at a small scale.
- Contera: One of the largest cities in the world, Contera is a trading hub and melting pot for many of the different human cultures from across Atercia.
It goes without saying that this entire setting is a work in progress. Many articles are not final, dates are ever changing and names might not stay the same! If you have any suggestions or if this gives you ideas for your own worlds I would love to hear/chat about it!
AuthorMy name is Caeora and I have been working on The 4th Race for nearly 15 years, some of it has even been written down! A huge amount has changed since those early days. In the beginning The 4th Race was full of elves and dwarves, dragons and goblins but since then my ideas have evolved and changed. This is very much a work in progress and only a few articles have been put on World Anvil. While progress on this setting will be slow, if you want to follow some of my other work like mapmaking & writing then follow me on twitter and check out my patreon!
GenreWhile this setting guide starts out with some ideas that may seem rooted in science fiction, the world of Calera is currently a very low technology place. Ancient sciences and wonders lost to time, lie in hidden areas of the world but the humans that inhabit the planet are barely making their way into the early medieval era. Most cultures are simple living in a technology state equal to the greeks, romans and ancient mesopotamian civilizations.
Natural HistoraeApart from this very section, the entire setting is actually written and described by a character within the setting called Laeona. Everything written here is part of a series of tomes and books she calls the Natural Historae. While most of the pages are from her perspective and what she has learnt, she is not omniscient and has large gaps in her knowledge or missing information that she ignores or even leaves blank on purpose. Laeona will be covered much more extensively in the future and this section might make its way over to the introduction page at some point.
Remove these ads. Join the Worldbuilders Guild