Wed, Apr 19th 2023 07:01   Edited on Wed, Apr 19th 2023 08:02

Years From Now

Most, if not all adventurers must one day face the reality that their days of battle and exploration have come to an end. For some, this conclusion is reached willingly. Durnan of the Yawning Portal is a perfect example, having achieved wealth and fame in the dungeons below Mount Waterdeep, he took his earned plunder and retired to the life of managing and owning one of the most successful and reputable inns in all of Waterdeep. Others face the end of their journey through exile, injury, or even death. It's not always the end an adventurer has in mind, but one day, an end finds them all.   What does your character see in their future when they "retire" from the life of adventure that now drives them? What fate awaits them in these visions?   Fame and fortune, wheel or woe, feel free to go into as much detail as you'd like, however many years ahead you'd like to go. Happy writing as always!
Wed, Apr 19th 2023 08:02

Callum   It's hard to say. Now anyway. I spent years, decades even, believing that when all of this was said and done, I'd be back in Hell, but at least those I love would be spared that fate. After my brush with the afterlife and Bolas, I learned that not even Asmodeus could pull me away from my real destiny. My ultimate fate remains undecided. That gives me hope, because it means I can make one for myself.   I always saw Zora, a grown woman, living the life of peace I'd tried for years to solidify for her. I see that still, though through far less effort of my own. She's making her own fate, as I am mine, though I hope there's a place for me in it. In time, I hope the wrongs I've committed against her can be healed and that we can share that life of tranquility together. Perhaps here. Perhaps somewhere far away. Or perhaps apart. I can't rule that out. Renaer...   ...Never thought I'd actually live to see grandchildren, but...I guess we'll see where that ends up.   There's been an image in my mind since my friends brought me back. One where I overlook nearby summits of surrounding mountains that give way to a great sea beyond. My home is there, high in those peaks. Lined by clouds, I see granite columns and burning sconces. Incense. Almost like a reflection of Celestia, but this place lined in silver and a refreshing chill. It's not so different from the peak I'd withdraw to in my old life. Only this place has a different purpose. It's my home, but it's also my post. My vigil from which duty can still be carried out. My duty. To defend the weak and helpless. To bring justice and wrath to evil. From this place, I serve Torm and keep watch, ready to act when called.   But even then, an old friend comes to visit. Zora can still find me. I'm no longer hiding or running. I'm ready to answer the call of action, but there is peace despite this vigil.   I wonder...if these are dreams, how close are they to becoming reality? What will it take to make them so?