Fri, Aug 11th 2023 06:18   Edited on Fri, Aug 11th 2023 08:07

Helga's Journal

This journal belongs to Helga Thorndew, and within it you will find notes, reflections, and general writings related to the daily happenings that Helga experiences both within and without her swamp. (At least, those she decides to write about.)
Fri, Aug 11th 2023 08:07

I started the day much like any other - a few quick chores, made sure my pets were fed and happy, then over breakfast I threw some runes to help guide my decision for which potions I should brew. Teacup doesn't understand why I rely on the runes in this way, but I still like to think that if someone out there has a true need, the powers connected to the runes will pick it up and guide me to meet that need. Of course, there is no way to prove if this does happen, there's always the chance that while someone might need a specific potion, they might not be aware of it, or might not attend a Night Market, meaning they never actually get it. But anyway, being able to brew anything can feel like too much freedom sometimes, so, the runes give me guidance. I might not always follow it, but it's helpful to have nonetheless. Apparently today I will be heading out to forage for a potion For Death, For Curing Hiccups and for Hate.  
Potion for Death: To help ease the passing on of those at Death's Door. Ingredients:
  • Blackthorn (x2)
  • Fairybells
  • Zangerzest
  • Summermint
  • Potion to Cure Hiccups: To cure those suffering from constant hiccups. Ingredients:
  • Slippery Elm (x2)
  • Peppermoss
  • Goldenfrond
  • Phoenix Moss
  • Potion for Hatred: To calm the emotions of one filled with inexplicable hatred. Ingredients:
  • Goblin's Balm
  • Corbander
  • Mansy
  • Swampwort (x2)
  • Started off my first foraging trip with a niggling headache, no thanks to that silly fluffball Nettle, who came far too close to accessing my pets earlier. I managed to drag her away and double the protections on the door, and no harm was dealt, but the worry was enough. Coming across a feisty raccoon was not exactly helpful, especially when that raccoon was preventing me access to a patch of blackthorn bushes. Misty was helpful though and I sent her to distract the creature while I carefully gathered what I needed. The creature was too curious though, and came back, yipping around my ankles until I almost yelled at it to leave us in peace. Surprisingly, it did, and I was able to gather the remaining ingredients with no bother.   The next issue I came across was not so easily dealt with though. I'd caught sight of some phoenix moss, but on my way towards it I felt a tingling sensation and very nearly forgot what I was doing. Turns out there was a peculiar floating orb there, surrounded by an aura of forgetfulness. Between the use of my basket, staff, a little rope and some magic, I finally managed to sling the orb out through a clearing in the trees, for the wild wind to carry it to some other unfortunate soul. Thinking about it now though, maybe I should have tried to destroy it instead, or at least remove the forgetfulness. But it's done now. Besides, if it had been the property of some fae creature, I'd rather not risk their wrath over damaging it.   The final gathering went well, despite having to navigate around a herd of giant beetles to get all I needed for the final potion. Misty had been feeling lazy during this time, and had settled around my neck for a nap. Her weight is bearable, but having her wrapped around me like that did increase my heat, which also didn't help that the Peppermoss from the previous gathering began to react and make me incredibly itchy. I'm still unsure about how I managed to not snap and shout at the beetles, although I'm sure it did creep in to my voice at some point. Poor things. They're such gentle giants.   When I got back to the swamp of course Teacup wanted to hear all about my trip out, not that it was all that adventurous, but still, she enjoyed hearing about it. Then she left me in peace to brew the potions. They might not have been the best in the end, but at least they are far from disasters. With that done, I spent some time in the Greenhouse, tending to my pets. They might sometimes be hard work, but I love them all dearly, even if some might want to taste my blood. I've trained them well enough though, it's been a while since any of them have tried to take a finger. One day maybe I'll teach Teacup how to care for them too, if she's willing.